Hi Sweet Humans,
You’ve probably heard of the terms sustainable and ethical fashion then wondering what do they mean, what are the differences.
I’m so humbled to share a little of my knowledge that I’ve gathered from a few years of running Isabelle Moon, where we always prioritize sustainability and ethics since day one.
Let’s talk about them one-by-one.
- Sustainable fashion is ensuring end-to-end business processes taking into account the longevity of the environment and socio-economic factors.
- The word sustainable itself means able to be maintained at a certain rate or level. Along the way, the meaning of sustainability is not just about the environment but also socio-economic.
- It’s about how we can maintain the resources so they are not exhausted. The resources include materials that we use for fabrics, energy to create fabrics, water and plants that we use for dyeing.
- It’s about how we ensure that there is no harm to people or animals. Here we talk about no toxic chemicals used for producing the fabrics that can harm it’s employees. No harmful waste that can badly affect the surrounding housing and people.
- It’s not just about the production phase but also the packaging. How we minimize the waste as much as we can.
- Ethical fashion is a practice that emphasize on people and animal welfare.
- Ethical fashion refers to people’s wages, working conditions, no animal cruelty.
- It’s about how we treat the people throughout the whole supply chain in the best way possible.
- It’s about giving their human rights.
Ethical and sustainable fashion are used alongside because they complement each other. Sustainable fashion takes the environmental approach while ethical fashion focuses more on the people and animals. Sustainable fashion is doing things right, while ethical fashion is doing the right things.
In Isabelle Moon, we use natural, non synthetic fabrics for all our collections whether it’s yoga or lifestyle. You can look up the fabric details in the product description for each product. We work with family-owned and local businesses in Bali for our natural dye and manufacturing. It's amazing to see how they've grown as businesses. It's my goal to always support and grow local businesses.
It’s important for us to show you how we do our business. We are in the process of creating a video where we show you our end-to-end process. Please make sure you subscribe to our newsletter so you don't miss it!
This process of learning about sustainable and ethical fashion, and the actualization of how Isabelle Moon operates have been eye-opening and everyday it makes me realize that there is always room for improvement.
My hope is that it’s not just a concept, but something that we all can take accountable for either as a producer or consumer.
In the next newsletter I want to deep dive more into slow vs fast fashion. Are you interested to know more about it?
I believe you have a lot to say about this topic. Please share your knowledge about ethical and sustainable fashion in the comment section. I’d love to hear more from you amazing and brilliant women!
Net Orders Checkout